We’re delighted that you’re thinking about getting married at St Mark’s Church. By marrying in church couples are able to make their vows before God in this special place. We will help you make this happen.
In order to get married in any church, you need to have what is known as a ‘qualifying connection’. This can be one of the following:
- If either of you have lived in the parish for at least 6 months.
- If either of your parents have lived in the parish, during your lifetime, for at least 6 months.
- If you were baptised in the church, or confirmed and your confirmation entered into the register here.
- If either of your parents or grandparents were married in the church.
- If one of you, or one of your parents, has attended the church for worship for more than 6 months during your lifetime.
If you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, you can attend St Mark’s for at least 6 months before you get married. We must stress though that this is a legal requirement that we have to adhere to. You couldn’t book a wedding and say you were going to attend and then not do so as that would make performing the wedding illegal.
Having thought about these questions, the next stage is to contact the Curate Revd. Shena Moray, (01723 314736). email@example.com. You will be invited to attend a Wedding Interview with her, which will take approximately ¾ hour. At the interview, your photo ID (ideally your passports) are copied and filed, and a wedding application form is completed.
We’ll then go through all that happens following the wedding interview. We’ll guide you through the whole process and answer any of your concerns.
There is some very helpful information on the Church of England’s website (www.yourchurchwedding.org)